Tuesday, June 1, 2010

tribute tuesdays: dave moulton

This week, we pay respect to one of my favorite frame builders of all time - Dave Moulton.  Dave Moulton, has made some of my favorite bicycles, although he was retired by the time I was big enough to ride one.  From England, he was cranking out some the most sought after frames during the 1970's - having frames ridden in the Olympics, World's and Tour de France.  He moved to America to build for Paris Sport, then he moved to build for Masi before breaking off to build his own company in San Marcos, CA.  Under the title of Dave Moulton & Fuso, he was making some of the most calculated builds imaginable.  I believe that he only built 216 bicycles under the Dave Moulton name, and a few thousand under the Fuso title during his career in California before he retired in 1993.  If you've never checked out his blog, its a wealth of information, and he's very easy to get a hold of.  Find these bikes and buy them! *EDIT* ALSO THE FIRST TRIBUTE TUESDAY SUBJECT TO EVER REPLY TO THEIR POST!!! Such an honor to be under the radar of such a prolific artist.

DAVE'S BIKE BLOG


2 comments:

Dave Moulton said...

Thank you for this tribute, you are too kind.
Just to set the record straight, the 216 frames built was my custom frame with the 'dave moulton' name on. I built almost 3,000 Fuso frames, some 200 under the John Howard name, and another 200 under the Recherche brand.
Dave

councilofdoom said...

I, humbly, stand corrected. I've had the privileged to have ridden two of your bicycles, and I'm trying to purchase one for myself.